This is the story of my wanderings, thought processes, and collections as I take walks through the community in which we live. The findings are literal objects collected on the way as well as the thoughts they may provoke.

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Legitamate Rubbish
















This week turned out to be the messiest of all. Garbage everywhere. Yet I collected less than the previous weeks. Odd it may seem that the quantity was not proportional equal to the quality that I have encountered in the past. (If it can indeed ever really be called quality.)
I decided to investigate behind a local Shopko which also borders a freeway. The fence which barriers the freeway was full of trash thrown from vehicles. These were not mere scraps of paper, this was legitamate rubbish, soaking in puddles of filth. Disgusting. Yet thousands of people a day pass by. I became just one more.
At the start I set out to not only collect but to help out if I could by picking up litter. I was reminded this week by my first priority and as I said before I am not an environmentalist by any means. Therefore I did not clean up this horrid mess, my desire to tidy up a bit was outweighed by my unwant of getting a disease or pricking myself on some stray needle.
Seems I may not have come as far as I thought. But I am first and foremost a collector here and there was nothing for me.
To this point I have avoided collecting package and wrappers mostly because they are seen everywhere and immediately recognizable. Not very interesting. This was all I discovered here. Wendy's cups, cigarette cartons, etc.
I did find some interesting tags and a cool spot to possibly return with my skateboard but this was it.

















Tags, a dead bird, and a place for the buttheads.

No comments:

Post a Comment